Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Critic Raves


 
                                                                     On the War of Art
 
 
Steven Pressfield has at least one valid message in his book The War of Art. Work ethic is important. But that message is hidden in a collected reiteration of some of the most clichéd, regressive, and harmful myths about writing and creating. His thinking is far more magical than practical; it’s superstitious and flimsy in its reasoning. In his own way, Pressfield is trying to reestablish the antiquated notion that the artist/writer is predestined to his calling, that writing and creating can’t be learned and practiced in terms of skill or craft. Moreover, his stubborn insistence on using the masculine voice – he always refers to the theoretical artist as “he” – signals his intention to Resist progressive theories about writing and engaging the world.

 

It’s hard to argue against Pressfield’s personal success. He’s published twelve books. But this is one I won’t be recommending.

 

Lighten up a little Steve-O; we’re in the 21st century.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your presentation. I won't be reading this book due to the fact that no one really had a great experience reading it. I think it is funny that he has such concrete views about writing and practices, but really these seemed to only be opinions, not anything more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, this is harsh. But now that I know, I probably won't read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree! Besides, sometimes things that cause Resistance make really interesting writing topics. I would much rather go out and get distracted by something instead of being forced to sit in a small box all day until I think of something reasonable to write about.

    ReplyDelete